Nova Physician Wellness Center
Weight Loss Specialists & Obesity Medicine Specialists serving Virginia
At Nova Physician Wellness Center, with locations throughout Virginia, Dr. Rohit Suri and Dr. Chaudhary help patients develop the best lifestyle changes and strategies for successful weight maintenance habits. Dr. Suri, Dr. Chaudhary, and his expert team believe in a multi-faceted, personalized approach when it comes to keeping the weight off, and this requires developing long-lasting habits that extend beyond the weight loss journey. To learn more about the best weight maintenance techniques, call the office or book an appointment online today.
Weight Maintenance Q & A
Establish Permanent Lifestyle Change Strategies
As mentioned above, individuals who have lost weight need to make permanent lifestyle changes in order to maintain their loss. To assist patients in making these changes, successful maintenance programs will include education on and assistance with the following factors
- Self-monitoring. Regular weighing and recording of daily food intake and physical activity for the first month or two of the maintenance period and during periods of increased exposure to food (e.g., during the holidays). If weight gain occurs, reinstitution of this practice may help bring weight back into control. Frequent follow-up contact with counselors is also crucial. Effective follow-up consists of a schedule of regular weekly to monthly visits.
- Physical activity. Daily physical activity is key to successful weight maintenance; it is the factor cited as the most important in maintaining weight loss by the majority of individuals in the National Weight Loss Registry. An average of 80 min/day of moderate activity or 35 min/day of vigorous activity is needed to maintain weight.
- Problem solving. Learning to identify and anticipate problems that threaten to undermine success is necessary. Problem solving skills allow the individual to craft strategies that will resolve problems as they emerge.
- Stress management. Exercise, relaxation, and social support can help reduce stress. Techniques to reduce stress can be critical for some individuals who overeat in response to stress.
- Relapse prevention. Relapse, temporary loss of control, and return to old behaviors is common. The key to relapse prevention is learning to anticipate high-risk situations and to devise plans to reduce the damages. Patients need to learn to forgive themselves for a lapse and view it as a “learning experience.” Reestablishing control is crucial.
- Social influence/support. Sabotage by family or friends is seen often and may be stressful for the individual who is trying to maintain weight. The skills to recognize intentional or unintentional sabotage may be learned. In extreme cases, a choice may need to be made between the weight-maintenance program or the relationship. Identifying a fresh circle of supporters or starting a support group may be useful.
Our Nutritionist and Health Counsellors are very cognizant of this and will work with you diligently to overcome these challenges and keep the weight off.
*Individual resutls may vary
Nutritional Counselingmore info
Weight Loss Counselingmore info
Medical Weight Lossmore info
Obesity Treatmentmore info
Pediatric Weight Lossmore info
Exercise Plansmore info
Weight Maintenancemore info
Pediatric Obesitymore info